Candle Believed to Be Cause of Christmas Day Fire 26 Dec 17

Polk County Officials now say a lit candle may have been the cause of a Christmas Day House Fire that displaced a couple in McIntosh.

The call for assistance came in just after 4pm Monday, to a home in the 100 block of 1st Street Northeast, with the smell of smoke coming from an upstairs bedroom.

The couple escaped safely as Fire Departments from McIntosh and Erskine fought the blaze in extreme cold. Fire damage was confined to an upstairs bedroom, although the home also suffered significant water damage.

The initial report from the State Fire Marshall shows the candle as the probable cause. No injuries reported.